Is it possible to successfully ban a user who uses a VPN?

4 replies
As the title says. I currently have 2 banned users who, when they were IP banned, simply purchased a VPN and use it to continue to access the website. I believe this is against Enjin's TOS but thus far I have been unsuccessful in getting a response from Enjin as to what can be done to rid my website of these unwanted and malicious users. Any information appreciated.
Posted Thu at 12:17 pm · OP · Last edited Thu at 12:17 by Alexandria
Master
LEVEL 5
On Enjin, unfortunately, it is true you can bypass IP bans via a VPN. The best you can do is keep banning new ips from that user as they are utilized (you can see these , and associated user accounts, in the user edit screen). Another better step would be to moderate new user joins via a manual review and limit module access to accepted users.

I know this is not what you want to hear but it is really all we have for banning.
Posted Thu at 01:41 pm
Thank you for the response Slayer.
And in the case where another user has made mulitple accounts in order to bypass the block you have put on their account so they can harass you via PM? My understanding is that it's against Enjin's TOS but when reported I was told to just keep blocking them when they PM me, which does nothing to deter the harassment.
Posted Thu at 01:55 pm · OP
Master
LEVEL 5
If someone wants to go through the trouble to waste their time like that, sure they can do that - but seriously, you can just ignore them. In my experience these people kinda stop after a few weeks of dead air.

If you ask any community owner, they will describe a similar experience as your own....Haters gonna hate (as they say).
Posted Thu at 06:03 pm
Oh these 2 have unfortunately been doing their best to make my life hell for the past 2 years now. So thanks for the advice but they aren't going away. Which is why it concerns me tha tEnjin is so blase' about their own TOS being defied.
Posted Thu at 09:12 pm · OP
Social Media
Follow us on our social media!
You will receive information, news, sneak peaks, giveaways and more!
NoticeNotices