New privacy laws (GDPR) and Enjin

4 replies
There hasn't been any movement on Enjin's privacy policy since 2013. Enjin needs to clarify in regards to EU regulations a series of things, especially on the point of accountability - that community owners can be assured we are not to be accountable (either intentionally or accidentally) for any private information that was registered with Enjin (as we can not see or interact with that information, only Enjin can) in case of a problem.
Posted Jun 12, 18 · OP · Last edited Jun 12, 18 by Lofty Mer...
Agree
List
Undo
Master
LEVEL 5
I doubt any of the Enjin customers are affected as we have never had access to emails or private data sent when making accounts on the Enjin network (or sending payments). Enjin owns the databases and does not grant access to any of this private data even if the site owner requests it (i.e to export a list of user emails on their site).

To clarify, think of the sites like Facebook pages -> The owners of those pages are not accountable but the umbrella company Facebook is.
Posted Jun 12, 18
wrote:
To clarify, think of the sites like Facebook pages -> The owners of those pages are not accountable but the umbrella company Facebook is.

Funny you should say that: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-court-facebook/facebook-fan-page-operator-has-privacy-responsibilities-eu-court-idUSKCN1J1142

It is simply wrong.

And I am not going to go on blind faith, Enjin needs to take action. They are located in EU and are, right now, not compliant.

A simple "we're working on it, stay tuned" is enough.

Remember all those embedded third-party HTML containers like world clocks, Youtube videos etc. that we are using on our sites.
Posted Tue at 07:28 pm · OP
Agree
Disagree
List
Undo
Just Started
LEVEL 1
I agree with OP that this needs to be looked into to ensure that Enjin is compliant. I wouldn't want my site to be blocked in Europe because of something like this.
Posted Thu at 05:00 am
wrote:
I agree with OP that this needs to be looked into to ensure that Enjin is compliant. I wouldn't want my site to be blocked in Europe because of something like this.

I'm not aware of any plans to block websites, but if Enjin were to have a breach of personal information and one of your members get affected, you could be liable for fines, depending on your site content. Very unlikely, but it should be 0% likely.
Posted Thu at 02:06 pm · OP · Last edited Thu at 14:11 by Lofty Mer...
Agree
List
Undo
Social Media
Follow us on our social media!
You will receive information, news, sneak peaks, giveaways and more!
NoticeNotices