Due to it’s (unexpected) success on my wall, and on other people’s wall too - shoutout to BestPD for doing a follow-up too - I decided to collect most of the issues described into a guide for you guys.
To start off, this is what pretty much us Forum Staff see quite often and deal with while we process Help section posts. Lots of people tend to post boost either intentionally or not, so what we are hoping and mostly looking for with this thread is spread useful information.
How to be a successful Help section poster
What you need to know and what you need to avoid
1. Post boosting: If the thread has already been more than address by one player, don’t quote them saying “this is correct” or just post the same exact thing. If you gotta say something more, be relevant and, most of all, be helpful. There’s no need to reiterate unless you really want to add useful information that haven’t been brought up in the thread up to that moment. Staff will have to confirm the correct information upon locking the thread, so no need to have 6 people under one post saying the exact same thing.
2. The “copy pasta”: Copy-pasted posts are quite often an issue. I definitely understand that sometimes having a copy-pasted message can help you with repetitive threads, but you also need to be sure that it is “ad hoc”. What this means is that there’s no point in adding a copy-pasted message if it is only partially relevant to the original poster (OP). Be sure that what you’re saying is not only useful, but understandable and clear to the OP. Anything detaching from this would simply create confusion.
3. Relevant content: this is not a very frequent occurrence, but it does happen every now and then. Some people tend to post information that most of the time is not relevant, or even incorrect. If you are not sure whether your information is correct or not, ask a staff member about it. We are more than willing to explain what would be correct and what would be good to post on a thread. If your answer does not provide correct information, there’s a chance that our OP will do something incorrect, so we will need to go onto further (unnecessary) steps to fix the issue. If you are 100% sure you have the correct answer, go for it. If you’re not sure, though, don’t post until you have confirmed your doubts with a staff member.
What do forum staff do?
We are magical minions that moderate the forums and help this platform be a better place for everyone. We enforce rules, but at the same time we do lots of unseen work, hence the moderation term.
Although we are divided into Forum Moderators (Mod+) and Forum Ninjas (SR.Mod), our moderation work is pretty much the same - what makes the two teams different is related to our tasks and quotas, which I will not explain right now as it would be too big of a digression. Just know that we, all together as a team, are the forum staff team and we deal with everything forums related, from merging threads up to issuing warning points to those who are breaking any of our rules.
Where can you report people breaking our Forum rules?
Lots of methods to actually get in touch with us:
1. Forum Offenses: This section of the forums is the best place to go in order to report any person breaking a forum rule or internal moderation stuff.
2. Message us: probably not as efficient as the first option, but you can message any of us - Forum Ninjas can be found at mineplex.com/staff & Forum Mods at mineplex.com/awards
Drop a PM and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
3. PM a staff member (not suggested though): if you really cannot find any forum staff available, redirect the issue to an available staff member. They can forward the issue to the next available forum staff and we will deal with it accordingly.
4. Any external method: if you have us on Discord, Slack, Skype, wherever you can reach out, feel free to ask for help.
Final reminder: when posting on the forums, especially in the Help section, you need to follow these couple of tricks/suggestions: