Page
of 6

Enjin Site Feedback

55 replies
Just Started
LEVEL 1
I’m not going to lie, personally I’m looking for a reason to renew my ultimate site next week. I’ve been using enjin for years, but even hit the point where my company has stopped using our website and conduct business through discord instead due to how inconvenient and messy Enjin is.

Now I am not nearly the skill level of AT but I too have messed around with altering the pre-existing enjin code with rather great success. The problem I have, however is when something which normally would take only 5-10 lines of code, on enjin, it generally takes 3-4 code blocks due to all the overwrites and refactoring that has to be done. (soo many !importants and I despise jquery)

Honestly if we could move to a more modern CMS like MyBB or Xenforo, that would be so highly beneficial to enjin as a whole, as it would draw far more creative minds out.
Posted Sep 19, 18
List
Undo
Just Started
LEVEL 1
V2 switch option would be fantastic please.
Along with PaperSpigot support and some updates for DonationCraft ;)
And thank you for the response.
Posted Sep 19, 18 · Last edited Sep 19, 18 by Tomographi...
List
Undo
We've had a hard time justifying paying for our site for awhile now. We do it so that our members have the common interface that they're used to, but from an admin's perspective, I would almost rather go siteless.

My absolute biggest gripe is mobile integration. They did a few things once upon a time to try to make forum modules look better on mobile, but that seemed to hit a wall and the theme overall is a nightmare on mobile. I know folks have tweaked it and gone through customized routes to make their enjin sites look & feel great on mobile, but the coding on enjin's part to grab their menu 2.0 is a nightmare, imo.

I feel this way about a lot of the customization within the site. I had more time years ago when we started our community. At this point, a full time job and being an admin behind the scenes leaves little time for site customization. When I have time to spend on the community, I want to be playing with the community. Especially since we pay a CMS company for something I wish were more fleshed out.
Posted Sep 19, 18
List
Undo
Just Started
LEVEL 1
wrote:
Witek wrote:
The second option is to switch over to a brand new "V2" layout, while allowing V1 websites to stay online with the "old" design modules. You would need to flip a switch in your settings to change between V1 and V2 completely, and the version 2 layouts would start with a limited set of modules, but be fully customizable in terms of CSS and layout design. This is my preferred route as it would be mobile-compatible. The main challenge here is that many of the vestigial legacy modules might not make it in - things like WoW tabard, etc. We would analyze the most common and important modules across the platform and work in that order.

We're listening to your feedback in this thread and I thank you for expressing your concerns!

- Having a switch would be ideal as this would allow admins / site owners to adjust on a schedule that works for them. Since this is a big change, I would also want to suggest that site owners or admins can work on a v2 site while their v1 is still live and active (the same way we can set a theme to a specific page). Having the ability to adjust / test their v2 site before live launch is the most reasonable way to get these sites migrated to the new format.
this is the best way I think as site owner myself and admin on other sites I would like to be able to work on V2 wile v1 is still active on a site
Posted Sep 19, 18
List
Undo
Just Started
LEVEL 1
wrote:
Hey everyone - thank you for your feedback. We have definitely shifted a lot of the team's focus to Enjin Coin through most of 2018, but Enjin CMS is a core product and we would like to put energy into modernizing the website platform.

One of the issues we face is that with over 120 unique modules, these are all designed to work with the legacy layouts that all websites are built around. Much of our back-end code has actually been refactored and improved in 2016-2017, but it's clear that the front-end layout needs a complete overhaul.

I'd like to ask for some feedback! We have a few ways of doing a front-end revamp:

One way is to gradually modernize every module, one at a time, while retaining the "grid based" layout editor but with extra flexibility. I realize that a lot of websites here have been around for many years, and this would allow all websites to experience gradual updates without any effort from site owners.

The second option is to switch over to a brand new "V2" layout, while allowing V1 websites to stay online with the "old" design modules. You would need to flip a switch in your settings to change between V1 and V2 completely, and the version 2 layouts would start with a limited set of modules, but be fully customizable in terms of CSS and layout design. This is my preferred route as it would be mobile-compatible. The main challenge here is that many of the vestigial legacy modules might not make it in - things like WoW tabard, etc. We would analyze the most common and important modules across the platform and work in that order.

We're listening to your feedback in this thread and I thank you for expressing your concerns!

Having the ability to switch to the modernized version would be much better than gradual updates. I'd love to see you give everyone beta-access and have a bugfixing and suggestion forum. The fact you have made a public statement about your commitment to this means a lot.
Posted Sep 20, 18
Agree
List
Undo
Just Started
LEVEL 1
im for a v2 switch, we built them before and we can do it again. do it do it do it.
Posted Sep 20, 18 · OP
List
Undo
Just Started
LEVEL 1
wrote:
[...]

First off, thank you Witek for your response on the thread. It's nice to see an Enjineer response finally.

I would much prefer to see Enjin go forward with the v1 and v2 plan than just updating random modules. That way, sites can pick a distinct theme that they prefer (whether they want to be early adopters or not should be up to them, not forced upon them). As more modules are updated, there theoretically would be more incentive to move to the new system and people would switch on their own.

Considering how old the Enjin platform appears to be, a bigger rewrite that has better support on mobile would be much nicer. It would be great if that included or even started with profile walls and dashboard pages, since walls tend to crash when you try and scroll much further than several dozen posts back. Their performance is severely lacking.

I think what most users here would like to see is a formal plan/timeline/road map for how this would go. Which modules would be updated first? What's the style/design language you'd be going for? Will utility pages such as profiles, the dashboard, or even the back-end editor be included? If Enjin does indeed plan to revamp the platform visually, confirmation of the plan is important to users like myself who are unsure of the platform's future.

I really like Enjin. A lot. I've been here for over 5 years on various different servers and have loved the connected profile and account. That's the kind of thing that keeps me on Enjin. However, the lack of innovation, features and improvements have got me concerned. I've been toying with the idea of booting my Minecraft server up. I have an Enjin site already from a couple years back, and I started working on it, but I'm unsure if that's where I want to stay if I carry through my plan.

If we start to see progress, even if it starts with bug fixing and posting threads about it, letting us know stuff is being fixed, that would be immensely encouraging for your users.

I don't want to say "Good job" yet, since it's just one forum post, but I will say "Good luck", and that I really hope you guys can pull through and make Enjin great again.

P.S. If I had to start with one thing, I would love to see the WYSIWYG editor be finished up. Like, officially considered released, not in any beta, with most if not all bugs removed. That alone would be huge. 😉
Posted Sep 20, 18
Agree
List
Undo
Here to show support for those who want change because there are quite a few of us and these are truly a lot of great suggestions we have here already.
✊🏽
Posted Sep 20, 18 · Last edited Sep 20, 18 by Jester Dem...
List
Undo
Just Started
LEVEL 1
wrote:
I've been thinking a lot about this. Enjin has been very important to me for a very long time. I learned a lot through Enjin, inadvertently or not. I made a living off designing on this platform for a very long time, and have hosted several of my own sites through it.

I absolutely agree that Enjin has lost touch with the CMS side of their business. Enjin Coin honestly looks like a very cool idea, and could be fantastic for the platform. The fact it's taken such a backseat though, is completely unacceptable. There were so many fantastic initiatives that they had going on which made it felt like they cared. They just seemed to have fallen out of focus.

I'm going to start off with some positives, though.

The positive:
- Ability to use HTML, CSS and JS at all. Something very valuable.
- Projects getting off the ground have the ability to get noticed within the Enjin network
- For Minecraft server owners specifically, having your forum, store and voting page all on the same site is really nice. It's harder (but not impossible) to achieve with any competitor.
- Multi-site profiles feel very social (hi friends)
- Slightly Cheaper than Buycraft + a Xen license + a VPS to host Xenforo, depending.
- When it works, the Enjin API
- Enjin Coin could be fantastic if you kept the promises.

The negitive:
- Very limited themeing capabilities outside of using CSS, hard for beginners.
- Unlike Xenforo, no templating engine. Makes a world of difference to be able to edit the source code of a module. I use jQuery (and a lot of !important's) to change the layout of certain modules, and it's stupid. Yes, I am a bad jQuery dev, but having to do this is completely garbage:

D-88c6a0.png
- Not mobile friendly. It's 2018.....
- Slow
- "themes" shipped as a base are all average at best. WHY MUST YOU USE SO MANY IMAGES????
- HTML tables. Again, it's 2018, I genuinely cannot believe that you guys have kept this up so long.
- Anyone remember when the new latest threads module launched and was super buggy but we had no choice but to use it til someone complained? I do.
- No community interaction from Enjin anymore. Last post from Maxim was a year ago. September 21th, 2017. Last online in June? How can the CD be that inactive?
- There are some pretty big bugs that haven't been fixed in FOREVER, like the ones mentioned by Hellomynameis99 and Tomo.
- No PaperSpigot support...??? how?
- No support for new games

Guys, we've seen how proactive you can be when you want to be. Enjin coin has a clearly laid out, fantastic roadmap. Why can't we have that? You have a community here who are willing to help you build a better product. Please at least give us something in return.

I know I have more to say, and have said a lot over the years, but this is just what I've got for now.

I hope someone sees this thread.
YESSS! 100% agree.
The ones I care most about are the fact that it's slow & there's no mobile support???
That just hurts website's usability by members. I know that my website would personally do a lot better if there was a mobile version...

Also, yeah fix the bugs lol.
Posted Sep 23, 18
Agree
List
Undo
I'm down for a switch between v1 & v2, I would just want to be able to keep the v1 template around until I finished working on my V2 design & features. I don't wanna put a under maintenance sign up, until my website is finished.
Posted Sep 24, 18
Agree
List
Undo
Page
of 6
Social Media
Follow us on our social media!
You will receive information, news, sneak peaks, giveaways and more!
NoticeNotices