6+ Years of Enjin: An In-Depth Testimonial

3 replies
Just Started
LEVEL 1
Introduction:

Greetings! I am Sajakain and this is actually my second account with Enjin. (No worries; my previous one wasn't banned or anything; I just lost the login when I came back to the website so I created this one!). This account was registered in February of 2011 and is approaching 6 years on it's own merit. In addition to my previous account, you can understand the source of years.

Right now I am the Guild Master and Community owner of Hand of Fate Gaming. This is not the first site I've managed with Enjin, either. This review / testimonial obviously comes from several years of experience and use of the service Enjin provides. I will try not to be too wordy but I make no promises.

I will not sugarcoat any aspect of this review; both the good and the bad will be point blank and honest.

The TL;DR Post:

Overall the experience I've had would come with, on a ten (10) point scale, a rating of seven (7). 7/10 is my testimonial score. It has a lot of great features, tools, and implemented technology to create your website but there are really strong issues as well.

Reading below I will go into more detail if you're interested. If not, thanks for taking the time to read this far!

The Positive:

There are a number of things I can truly say is absolutely amazing about the Enjin services. The website customization, first off, is very easy and, with the paid plans, can be extremely modified with custom coding. My sites are always basic, just running off the provided layouts, some customized templates, and maybe a few HTML modules here. The other end has some really amazing websites custom coded and designed. Either way you go the setup and maintenance is straight forward and easily manageable.

The amount of things you can do with your website, regardless of plans, is astounding. It's definitely more than any competition I've scouted over the years. Videos, designs, elements, modules, store capabilities, voice implementation. . . and much more. So many things. When you combine the amount of things you can do with the amount of customization available to the things you can do you end up with a service that is only limited by your imagination. Just check out the Featured Friday section on these forums and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

The module support for specific titles is also astounding. Modules specifically for recruitment, progression, rankings, etc. . . very nice to have and, again, they're very easily set up and made available to put on any page of your website. I speak primarily from the use of World of Warcraft and it's modules but I have witnessed several uses for Minecraft and first person shooter clans / communities as well.

Customer Support is on point as far as communication goes. I've yet to submit a ticket and not go 24 hours without a response (not counting weekends and having the understanding of time zone differences). Whether it's issues that I've had with the website, voice, or even if I have suggestions - all were addressed professionally and in a timely manner. Some of my tickets that were suggestions have even been implemented.

I could literally go on with more positive things about using Enjin and make an entire post out of it. However, to attempt to keep my word and not be too wordy, I'll end it with this. As with anything, there are two sides of the coin: this is just some of the good. Up next I'll discuss some of the bad.

The Negative:

Unfortunately there's always a negative side to things. (Nothing is perfect). Without further delay, here are some issues:

I've witnessed questionable business practices. While I won't go into the entire story, there was a time that the advertised price was what I paid. What I mean is that if I wanted to purchase 12 months of a website and the cost said it would be $300 (an example), my credit card would report a $300 charge from Enjin. Without any notice, however, Enjin made changes that ended up with a charge from an unknown company in France for a different amount. Maintaining that example, the $300 charge would actually be $308.57. The change also made it to where "Enjin.com" and "CA" (California) was no longer in the description. These changes resulted in a month long investigation, my account temporarily banned, the charge being disputed and then re-charged, my banking history being investigated. . . a lot of crap, honestly. When I questioned Enjin on why they made this change and gave absolutely no notice to it's customers, I received a reply of, paraphrasing, Enjin didn't feel it necessary to inform it's customers. All in all the issue was settled and fixed but it caused website downtime, a lot of stress with me and my bank, and several weeks of e-mail between me and Lilia*. Since then things have changed yet again, for the better, and hopefully things are back to normal (we'll see when I renew.)

The recent voice problems that have had notifications from Enjin. I paid for a year of additional slots and, one day, my server was completely changed. Our community's TeamSpeak had only a small set of channels and maybe 50 users. I logged in one day and it changed dramatically. There were literally over 1,000 users and over 100 channels for a "gaming community" that I've never heard of. Same address, the password was removed, but completely different server. I personally went through the work of reverting all the changes and notified Enjin of what happened. The reply I received was it was an account of their new host. What a headache but a few hours of my time and it was resolved. Things were restored to where they were and all was good. That lasted for about a week until the server was shut down. Without notice. It wouldn't restart and nobody could connect to it. I was told the situation was being looked in to and I gave it one week. After no reply (and no server) I contacted support again and the only thing that I was given was an explanation that it was the new host's issue and they could just delete the server and create a new one. I wasn't given an explanation to the problem. This issue was ultimately resolved by a credit to our website plan days, the additional 20 slots removed, and a new TS server created. (I am paying for the ultimate plan, after all).

Lastly, as this is getting rather lengthy, Enjin can be slow to update modules for their games. Again I am speaking from the perspective of World of Warcraft solely and not other titles. New raids come out, new classes come out, etc. Things (for the past two expansions) have literally been pushed to the last possible minute or - even worse - after the release date before modules are updated. I've written tickets in advance to let them know of upcoming changes. When they weren't made in time I submitted another ticket, made reference to my previously submitted one, and was told "no such ticket exists". (I showed them proof and, well, that was that.) To this day, the Guild Tabard Module still reflects "Level 25 Guild" information and levels were removed from guilds 2 years ago - yeah; still not updated despite the 2 or 3 tickets I've submitted pointing out the flaw. While things like this are minor, such things as new classes, specs, and raid zones are not. The updating process takes forever and sometimes it's not done, as noted, until the very last minute or even a week or two after the content has been released. It can make certain aspects of managing a community very frustrating when you don't have up-to-date modules running.

Concluding Thoughts:

This past year has been the worst for experience for me, personally, with Enjin. So much, in fact, that I've debated not renewing my service. However. . . the pros of the service, when functioning properly, are far superior to any alternative out there save me hosting and coding my own website independently. It is for this reason that I haven't flat out deleted my community website and, ultimately, will have it renewed. Yes, it's that good despite my issues over the past year.

Things can be improved, however. Information between the business and the client can be made more transparent when it comes to changes in financial handling and updates to specific game modules could be made much faster and more efficient.

Nothing is perfect. Overall and all things considered, this is my testimonial / review. Enjin continues to maintain my service and loyalty and, with it, gets a 7/10 score. This time next year, perhaps, it could be better.

Thanks for taking the time to read this if you have done so.

Regards,
Sajakain
Guild Master / Community Owner
Hand of Fate Gaming

*Lilia: If you get the pleasure of speaking with this customer service agent you need to treat them with utmost respect. She (which is an assumption based on the name) makes every effort to understand your needs and works to resolve matters that suit both you and the company. You will not meet anyone more professional, thorough, and helpful to solve your matter.
Posted Oct 27, 16 · OP · Last edited Oct 27, 16 by Sajakain
Love it
List
Undo
Popular
LEVEL 4
Thanks for the review Sajakain, we really appreciate the honesty. I think we would agree with you that the past year was not our best in regard to the bugs and TeamSpeak downtime. We try to do our best to simultaneously update games, fix bugs, and implement new features with the resources we have. And having implemented many of the game features myself, I personally thank you for giving us heads up on upcoming game updates. Staying on top of game updates before they arrive is really important. As for TeamSpeak, we've been working very hard with Light Speed Gaming to make sure our customers are extremely satisfied with their voice servers.

Again, thanks for the thorough review and I hope we can get that 7 up to at least a 9 soon :)
tech-dev-signature_1404885254.png
Posted Nov 2, 16
List
Undo
Just Started
LEVEL 1
Hello Sajakain,

I quite like your review and I agree with you in most of the aspects.

I've been using enjin for a few years (didn't count them) and Im really pleased with it. I had a few problems but it got resolved in a short period of times, which I really appreciatte. Apart from that, enjin did really good.

I still don't understand some part of the code, but Im into it and seeing what AT SLAYERS is cappable off with his website projects, I would give a 8/10 to enjin.

Thanks for everything Enjin!
Posted Nov 2, 16
Experienced
LEVEL 3
Hi Sajakain,
I remember you :)
Thank you very much for your feedback and honest review. Our apologies for the issues with payment providers, as much as it sounds like a cop out, and as you know, this instance were largely due to third party changes largely out our control, and were led to believe it would not effect our users. Since then we have made effort to change to a more reliable provider and we will do our best to convey any changes to our users in a timely fashion in the future!
Thanks for your continued long term support! Looking forward to making our service better
l2.pngl3.png
Posted Nov 10, 16
List
Undo
Social Media
Follow us on our social media!
You will receive information, news, sneak peaks, giveaways and more!
NoticeNotices